Friday, August 2, 2019

HUGS FROM THE HEART



“I count the days,
Until childhood ends and something else begins
When endless hugs are no longer spontaneously given
For every occasion…or just because....”

                                     --Margaret M. Desjardins
It’s only in looking back that we discover the importance of the hugs we gave and received, from our children and grandchildren.  But it is only in the present that we can truly connect with our children and grandchildren—through storytelling, a remembering of those accumulated moments in time. 

“Dancing in the Rain”

by Amy Ruocco


  We are all faced with challenges in life, but how successfully we navigate through those challenges largely depends on how capable we view ourselves to be. Dyslexic children learn fairly early on that their peers are able to conquer tasks that are seemingly
insurmountable to them. Even the brightest students find themselves shirking opportunities to participate in class for fear of being wrong or worse, different.
Unfortunately, many of these students find themselves focusing all their energy on their weaknesses. Unless these children are allowed to also celebrate their strengths, they will find it hard to develop confidence in their own abilities.
   Our son Andrew is a very bright, inquisitive, little guy, but not long after beginning first grade, we noticed his light was dimming. His love of school first turned into like, but after a while, it turned into dread. It wasn’t until Andrew began going to Landmarkthat we saw his light begin to return. Day by day, we felt our son was coming back to us.
   One day after school, Andrew was especially eager to ask me something. As soon as he saw me he said “Mom, Landmark is having a talent show. Can I do it?” Of course, I said yes immediately. Naturally, I assumed he would choose to play the guitar, since he had been doing so since the age of four. However, when asked, he replied, “Nope, I want to dance.” “Dance, did he really just say he wanted to dance?” Since dancing was
something Andrew would have previously avoided out of fear of embarrassment, I asked again for clarification. Of course, he confirmed that I had heard him correctly and began deciding what form of dance to perform. At that moment, I was both thrilled and
scared to death. Here we were. Andrew was finally feeling at home again. He felt smart and liked and… happy. Although I feared what could happen if Andrew’s performance was not, shall we say, appreciated, I feared more what would happen if we did not support his decision.
   The day of the performance, my hands were sweating and my heart was in my stomach. “Please let this go well,” I kept telling myself. Andrew proudly stepped out on the stage and began to dance. The more he danced, the more I relaxed, because I knew that Andrew was truly confident and happy. He finally felt safe enough to put himself out there in front of his peers and fortunately, they did not let him down. The support Andrew received that day was absolutely amazing. In fact, I would call it life-changing and he would too.
   No one is able to get through life without challenge. In fact, many times, the challenges we face allow us to discover our strengths. Children, however, need to be reminded that their challenges do not define them. When provided with the opportunity to also
showcase their gifts, and feel the praise that comes from doing so, children will begin to experience themselves as capable. The byproduct of those experiences is confidence, which is an essential ingredient in the formula for academic and social success. Looking
back now, I find it somewhat metaphorical that Andrew chose “Singing in the Rain” as his performance piece. While some would seek shelter from the storm, Andrew chose to “dance” in the rain that day.


IF YOU LIKE THIS SAMPLE, PLEASE CLICK THE "HUGS FROM THE HEART"  TAB BELOW TO  ENJOY ADDITIONAL MOMENTS FROM OTHER GRANDMOTHERS ABOUT THEIR MEMORABLE MOMENTS.

                                               'HUGS FROM HEART"

No comments: